Building strong and healthy families through access to accurate, evidence-based, health-justice informed reproductive health education.
The Community Birth Educators program uses a blended learning format, which allows you to start the 20-hr program requirements prior to the in-person classroom portion. Using the blended learning approach, you will complete the first portion of the training through online media, readings, and worksheets in the comfort of your home or office. The online portion of the program must be completed before the seminar. The second portion of the training is a 2-day interactive classroom-based seminar. Another benefit of the blended learning format is that you will only be away from your office or home for 2 days versus the traditional 3-day training program.
The following are required for completion of the program:
- Complete online videos, readings, and assignments prior to your scheduled seminar.
- Attend and fully participate in the 2 day in-person training seminar.
- Prepare and present a 5-10 minute teaching presentation during the 2 day seminar.
- Observe at least one birth.
- Observe a childbirth class, preferably taught by a certified Lamaze educator.
The following are highly recommended:
- Begin to adapt the provided curriculum or write your own.
- Find a mentor to help you work through small challenges as they present themselves.
- Join the Lamaze social media sites and begin to follow the Lamaze blogs for professionals (www.scienceandsensibilities.com)
- Begin to teach. Friends, family, co-workers, one-on-one, small groups, co-teach portions of an experienced teacher’s class. Teaching is a great way to prepare for the Lamaze certification exam.
Community Birth Educators welcomes all potential participants, regardless of past experience, religion, color, or orientation. This program is great for individuals with both clinical and non-clinical health backgrounds. While a basic knowledge and familiarity with pregnancy, birth, and postpartum information is very helpful before you enroll in the program, the seminar will build on your maternal health knowledge by adding evidence-based maternity care information, principles of adult education, basic business and marketing skills, and interactive teaching strategies. Our program is dedicated to building and supporting community birth educators through health-justice informed training. After the seminar, participants will be able to offer engaging, transformative, evidence-based birth education to meet the needs of their community.
Dates & Locations
- May 21-22, 2019 - location TBD
Fees & Scholarships:
The 20 hr Community Birth Educators Lamaze Training costs $500.
Community Birth Educators is committed to providing access to education, training, and support for educators from all communities, especially from traditionally under-served and under-represented populations. A limited number of scholarships are available from priority communities, including indigenous, spanish-speaking, and educators from LGBTQIA+ communities and communities of color.
The first step is to apply to the Community Birth Educators Lamaze Training CLICK HERE...
If you would like to apply for a Scholarship CLICK HERE...