DC Birth Doulas has two groups to choose from: the Senior Group and the Junior Group. Each doula on the Senior Team has supported more than 60 births, is certified through DONA International, and has been a doula with DCBD for more than a year. The service package fee for the Senior Group is $1300. Doulas in the Junior Group range from new professionals to doulas who have supported nearly 50 births, and are either certified or are working on their certification through DONA International. The service package fee for the Junior Group is $800.
When you sign a contract with DC Birth Doulas, you hire one group of doulas, either the Senior Group or the Junior Group. You have an opportunity to get to know all of our doulas through the monthly meet the doulas event, emails and phone calls. One doula will meet you in your home for a prenatal visit. Depending on the on-call schedule, this same doula or a different one will provide you with full labor support and immediate postpartum assistance with breastfeeding in the hospital. You will also receive a postpartum visit in your home by the doula that attended your birth.
Working with a group-doula practice has significant advantages over working with an individual or agency doula. When you choose to work with on of the DC Birth Doulas Groups, you benefit from:
- the reassurance that comes with meeting and developing a relationship with several doulas; you can be confident that you will not have to work with a backup doula you have not met.
- support for very long labors- most of the time the doula that arrives for your birth will be the one who stays until the end. but if you have a very long labor, a new doula (who you have already met with from the group) with fresh ideas and energy can come to assist.
- the peace of mind that comes with knowing that the doula who attends your birth will be well rested and fully available to be with you- you don't have to worry about getting a doula who is tired from a previous birth or who has another client in labor at the same time.
- reassurance that illness, accident, or emergencies will not interfere with your birth support - if a doula gets a flat tire on the way to the hospital, another doula from the group will be called in to ensure you get the support you need.
- over 25 years of collective experience working with women from diverse cultures, professional backgrounds, family structures, ages, orientations, birth preferences, and birth outcomes.
- a wide base of knowledge and training, including labor support, birth, prenatal yoga, childbirth and reproductive health education, breastfeeding, newborn care, child-rearing, massage therapy, and public health training.
We invite you to sign up and come to one of our monthly Meet the Doula events to find out more about how our group practice works!