DC Birth Doulas cares deeply about the health and wellbeing of our clients. We want to share how we, as a company, are working to stay informed and keep our clients safe as the coronavirus COVID-19 begins to impact more communities in the United States. We know that everyone is paying close attention to the spread of COVID-19. At this time, it is important to listen to the facts and not respond to fear. Currently, while there have been three confirmed cases in Maryland, the overall risk of COVID-19 in the DMV area remains low.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists (ACOG) have issued the following Covid-19 safety guidelines for pregnant persons and medical providers:
- Guidelines issued by the CDC for pregnant persons
- Guidelines issued by the CDC for breastfeeding persons
- ACOG practice advisory
- Guidelines for pregnant people diagnosed with COVID-19
Basic personal safety
DC Birth Doulas is monitoring the guidelines for the region and the hospitals in which our clients are giving birth to ensure we are informed of any changes related to Covid-19 that may impact the safety of our clients. Meanwhile, our doulas continue to follow and share best practices for overall health during cold and influenza season with doulas, clients, and our own families. These preventive measures include:
- Washing hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoiding touching eyes, mouth and nose with unwashed hands.
- Avoiding close contact with individuals who are sick.
- Staying home when sick- we will too. (One of the many benefits of working with a team!)
- Remaining home, based on CDC recommendations, for at least 24 hours after no fever or signs of a fever (i.e., chills, feeling warm, flushed appearance) without the use of fever-reducing medication.
- Covering coughs or sneezes with a tissue, then immediately discard the tissue in the trash.
- Cleaning and disinfecting frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Taking any antiviral medication prescribed as instructed.
Extra safety measures
Additional measures that our doulas take to help keep our clients healthy include:
- Washing our hands frequently (or using hand sanitizers) during births and childbirth classes similar to nurses, doctors and midwives
- Wearing gloves in the birthing room when possible during skin to skin interaction
- Washing our work clothes in hot water following each birth and keeping clean clothes in a closed cabinet or drawer
- Cleaning supplies used during births (speakers, diffusers, massage tools, etc.) with disinfectant wipes and covering fabric supplies with removable single use hospital linens
If there continue to be additional confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the DMV area, our doulas will take and record their temperatures and report any symptoms to the team at the beginning of each call schedule. We will update our clients as we learn more, and follow all hospital guidelines and policies.
As always, please direct all medical questions towards your care providers. Be assured that we are all doing our best to stay healthy and well, so we can help keep you and those you love healthy and well. Know that your safety in relation to Covid-19 is a top priority for your doulas, and we will continue to update our safety policies and guidelines as we learn more. Please feel free to call or email the team if you have any questions.